View this image in our new website.
|Eugenics Record Office, board of scientific directors and functions|
Pages: 1 of 1
|The Harry H. Laughlin Papers, Truman State University, Lantern Slides, Brown Box,504|
Eugenics Record Office
Established October 1, 1910
Mrs. E. H. Harriman, Founder
Board of Scientific Directors
Alexander Graham Bell, Chairman
William H. Welch, Vice Chairman
Lewellys F. Barker, Irving Fisher, T. H. Morgan, E. E. Southard
Charles B. Davenport, Secretary and Resident Director
H. H. Laughlin, Superintendent
The Functions of the Office are:
1. To serve eugenical interests in the capacity of repository and clearing house.
2. To build up an analytical index of the inborn traits of American families.
3. To train field workers to gather data of eugenical import.
4. To maintain a field force actually engaged in gathering such data.
5. To co-operate with other institutions and with persons concerned with eugenical study.
6. To investigate the manner of the inheritance of specific human traits.
7. To investigate other eugenical factors, such as (a) mate selection, (b) differential fecundity, ( c) differential survival, and (d) differential migration.
8. To advise concerning the eugenical fitness of proposed marriages.
9. To publish results of researches.
Copyright 1999-2004: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory; American Philosophical Society; Truman State University; Rockefeller Archive Center/Rockefeller University; University of Albany, State University of New York; National Park Service, Statue of Liberty National Monument; University College, London; International Center of Photography; Archiv zur Geschichte der Max-Planck-Gesellschaft, Berlin-Dahlem; and Special Collections, University of Tennessee, Knoxville.
The images and text in this Archive are solely for educational and scholarly uses. The materials may be used in digital or print form in reports, research, and other projects that are not offered for sale. Materials in this archive may not be used in digital or print form by organizations or commercial concerns, except with express permission.